Choosing a remedy for thinning hair is a major decision. In fact, it can be a life-changing decision. It's extremely important to take ample time to research all the options available for hair transplants and related procedures.
Today, there are plenty of ways to gain a natural looking head of hair. Most hair restoration procedures need to take place under the supervision of a medical professional, specifically a hair transplant surgeon.
Your search for a hair transplant surgeon should begin with this checklist.
- Referrals. Ask your primary care physician so you get a strong referral. You can also ask physician friends to point you toward a hair restoration specialist they recommend.
- Qualifications and Certifications. Take a close look at the abbreviations after a doctor's name. ABHRS stands for American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery. IAHRS stands for International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons. AHLA stands for American Hair Loss Association. ASDS stands for American Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
- Latest Training. How up-to-date with the most recent procedures is your surgeon? The hair restoration field is rapidly changing.
- Insurance. Is the physician part of your insurance carrier's network? You may be surprised to discover that your insurance will pay for a portion of your procedure.
- Time. Does the physician have a strong track record of really taking time with patients to understand their needs and goals?
- Specialization. Some surgeons specialize in certain hair restoration procedures. Check to see which type of hair surgery will work best for you. Certain procedures require highly specialized skills.
- Be Realistic. Yes—hair replacement options are excellent today and the options are significantly better. However, it remains important to be sensible about expectations. The top hair transplant surgeons will be realistic about what you can expect. If you feel you're being promised a result that's unrealistic, check with another surgeon or even check with your family physician before committing to surgery.
Hair transplants or similar surgery should not be taken lightly. So it's extremely important to perform due diligence when selecting a hair transplant surgeon.
One of the benefits of working with the experts at Mane Image? They will help you select the right physician and specialist for your precise needs.