Hair loss and hair thinning are issues that affect many people. By the age of 35, 66% of men will experience some form of hair loss or thinning, and about 40% of women experience this as well, but hair loss and thinning are things you do not have to accept; there are options and resources available.
Hair Loss - The Causes
Hair loss can occur due to many reasons for both men and women. Many people attribute this to heredity, but it may also be due to various other causes including:
1. Medications - Some medications have side effects that can directly affect the hair.
2. Health Issues - Hair health can be a telling indication of the body's health status.
- Thyroid Conditions
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Poor Nutrition
- Vitamin Deficiencies
Having healthy lustrous hair can be achieved with the proper blend of vitamins and minerals. Hair is mostly made up of proteins, but it also needs vitamins and minerals to grow, so a healthy diet is vital to attaining a magnificent mane.
Vitamins That Promote Great Hair
Without proper nutrition, our bodies do not function at full capacity, and when we lack specific vitamins, it can affect how we feel and how we operate. If we are deficient in the vitamins that help our hair, the consequences can lead to brittle hair that breaks easily, falls out or doesn't even grow.
- Vitamin A - A fat-soluble vitamin which repairs hair and helps keep the scalp moist. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for men is 900 micrograms, and for women, it is 700 micrograms. The best food sources include Fruits and vegetables, dairy products, fish, liver and fortified cereals.
- Biotin - A water-soluble vitamin and part of the B-complex (B7) family have an RDA for both men and women of 30-100 mcg daily. A lack of biotin may cause thinning of hair. Some research has suggested that combining biotin with zinc can reduce hair loss. The best food sources include organ meats, eggs, fish, nuts, certain vegetables such as sweet potatoes.
- Vitamin C - Another water-soluble vitamin which is known for its antioxidant properties is needed to make the protein collagen which can prevent the hair from aging. Vitamin C is also required for the absorption of iron, a mineral necessary for hair growth. The RDA for men is 90 mg per day and 75 mg per day for women. The best food sources include citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit), sweet red bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes.
- Vitamin D - A fat-soluble vitamin if deficient in the body has been linked to alopecia areata which is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation around the hair follicle resulting in hair loss. By merely being out in the sun for 10-15 minutes a day will give your body the required 10,000 IU. The best food sources include fish (halibut, salmon, whitefish, and mackerel) and mushrooms.
Minerals That Promote Great Hair
- Zinc - An essential mineral that won't promote hair growth but will help prevent lifeless locks and hair loss. The best food sources include meat, fish, nuts, mushrooms and spinach.
- Iron - A vital mineral that helps in red blood cell production which carries oxygen to the cells in the body including the cells that stimulate hair growth. Hair loss treatments are also enhanced when iron deficiency is addressed. The best food sources include spinach and dried beans.
- Iodine - Thyroid imbalance can affect hair loss, and iodine is a significant supporter of the thyroid hormone. The best food sources include nori seaweed and oysters
Including these hair enhancing vitamins and minerals sometimes isn't enough to stimulate enough hair growth, and that is when it is time for professional assistance with people that not only know about the process but care about their clients.
Mane Image Restoration Center is a family owned and operated business. We have been recognized as leaders in our field and offer top of the line hair replacement products since 1987. Mane Image provides affordable, safe, effective and FDA approved solutions.
Find out more about hair loss prevention and regrowth at Mane Image Hair where we provide a vast array of options including surgical as well as non-surgical procedures. Don't let hair loss hold you back from enjoying your life. For a personalized empowering experience contact us for a FREE, confidential consultation with a hair loss specialist and get your hair follicles flowing today!