No one wants to experience hair loss. In some cases, it's hereditary or due to illness. However, there are also many habits within your control that could contribute to hair loss. By getting rid of these bad habits, you may have a better chance of keeping your hair. Here is a list of 10 bad habits to avoid.
1. Washing your hair too often. While washing your hair every day may seem like a healthy habit, this isn't always the case. Most shampoos contain chemicals that are harsh on your hair and scalp. Shampooing too often also removes natural oils and dries out your hair. It's best to wash your hair every other day.
2. Overheating your scalp. Taking very hot showers can wash away some of the natural oils that keep your hair healthy. Hot water can also damage your scalp and makes it harder for new hair to grow back. This doesn't mean you need to take cold showers. However, don't risk scalding your scalp with very hot water.
3. Poor diet. There are many reasons to eat a healthy diet. Your hair, like other parts of your body, requires a variety of nutrients. Empty calories such as sweets and processed foods are not nourishing to your hair or the rest of your body. On the other hand, foods such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and high-quality proteins support hair growth.
4. Brushing wet hair. When your hair is wet, it's more fragile. Make sure you aren't brushing your hair too harshly. It's recommended that you comb your hair gently when it's wet.
5. Swimming in chlorinated pools. Chlorine is a harsh chemical that dries out your hair and may damage it. You can reduce these effects by wearing a swimming cap while in the water. Washing your hair right after swimming also helps.
6. Tight hairstyles. Keeping your hair in a tight bun or ponytail or keeping it in braids causes stress to the hair and scalp. Over time, this can lead to gradual hair loss and other symptoms such as redness and itching.
7. Applying too many hair products. While products such as gels, conditioners, and creams can help to make your hair look good as well as easier to manage, they can also cause damage. This includes hair dyes, especially when you change colors frequently. Limiting the number of products you apply can help you maintain healthier hair.
8. Consuming too much alcohol. Alcohol contributes to dehydration, which dries out the hair and may also cause it to thin. Heavy drinking can also interfere with your body's ability to absorb vitamins and minerals that are essential for healthy hair.
9. Scratching or playing with your hair. Some people play with their hair out of nervousness. This is another habit that could cause damage if you do it repeatedly. Similarly, frequently scratching your hair can damage follicles. If you scratch because of conditions such as dandruff, address the underlying issue so you can stop scratching.
10. Excessive stress. While some stress in life is inevitable, too much of it may contribute to hair loss. Learning how to relax and avoid stressful situations could help you keep your hair.
These are some of the bad habits that could contribute to hair loss. In general, a lifestyle that includes a sensible diet, regular exercise, and sufficient rest will support healthy hair growth.
Since 1987, Mane Image has been providing custom hair restoration solutions for men and women. We offer both surgical and non-surgical approaches to hair loss and use the latest and most effective products and procedures. To learn more about hair restoration or to schedule a free consultation, contact us today!